Friday 27 April 2018

The Ballad of the Southern Wind

Remember how you were in love with the intense in me?
Remember how you said it was a fairytale come to life?
Remember how you thought falling out of me wasn't even a question?

Life grew up; so did we
Words grew thinner
The silences overarching
But, don't silences have so much more to say than just words?
If only opposites and differences remained the same through the lengths of an entirety

The sweet turns sour
The sour turns bitter
The differences become arguments
The arguments become episodes
Episodes of a war drama
A war of egos
A war of choices
A war of differences
A war of silences
A war of the wars
Or was it ever a war of any of these?
Or, just a war imagined off ideas and illusions?

But, does any of it still make sense?

What was built in years
Was dust in days
But, that's what rampages have always been about, isn't it?

The intensity was no more a preference
The fairies had turned too real for a tale
The equations had shifted; falling out of love was a reality of the broad daylight

The arguments
The fights
The silences
The lack of words
All of it had become too much to bear with
All of it had no apparent answers

So, one inebriated evening you decided to walk out; for a while, that's what you said
The habits had crept in too deep; I was too intoxicated to let the daylight in

I drank till I couldn't stand
I cried till my jaws pained
I screamed till my lungs would burn

You said you needed time
You said you needed sanity
You said I was too impatient
You said I was too absurd

And then
One good morning
It all changed
None of it same as ever before


Existences no more made sense
The skin had turned numb
Words could scar me no more
Beliefs were too sober to get me drunk

And this time around I was too cold for your liking.



A hundred years from now
Some other day
Some other time
Some other place
We would get back
We would get back in love
We would get back at love
We would grow in love
We would grow in love unless we grew out of it
We would probably do it all
Again
And yet again


But wait.


This time around, let's not
Let's not love
Let's not grow in love
Let's not give it a chance to grow out of love
This time around, let all of it be the fairytale
This time around, let all of it sink in the distant dream of a drunken midnight

This time around, let none of it begin
For beginnings have endings
And endings mean newer beginnings

I am not scared of endings
I am scared of newer beginnings.



No comments:

Post a Comment