Tuesday 18 June 2019

felo de se

Death isn’t a choice; death is the only obvious

I.
We have probably been telling us the same old lies over and over again
But, is one lie told a thousand times over, half as real as the truth
But, is one lie told a thousand times over, half as appalling as the truth

And yet here we are, living mirages over and over, hoping this time around it’d be life at the end of the desert

If only, the illusion of life was half as rousing as the idea of life

But then, we hope
For, the promise of a dawn inspires
For, the actuality of a dusk weeps cold sweat
But then, what happens when the dawn just doesn’t seem apparent enough?

Broken promises are like broken pastels; survival turns synonym for life in the bargain for renaissance

If only, pastels could scream in broken spaces


II.
What happens when the illusion wears off?

Do you wake up like you’d, off a usual night’s slumber
Does death instead make sense after all, to the disillusioned existence

If only afterlives could be penned in novels and essays

But then, would you write poetry if you could become?


III.

This wouldn’t be the first time that I have desired death

It was a long time ago; long enough for desires though not long enough to be forgotten
Long before I had killed Gandhi
Long before I had sung ballads at my funeral

I had desired poetry long before I turned poet


IV.


The lies have dropped dead somewhat like the withered yellow leaves of the last twig alive
The disguises have given in to the betrayals etched in the faces beneath the skin

I have walked in and out of love at the length of broken marriages and wrecked affairs
I have sold borrowed intimacies and voyeured adulteries like they were groceries
I have let acquaintances burn in the name of a thousand gods because it felt good to watch
I have erased the entirety of existences like they were scribbles off a pencil

And yet, I haven’t found life

I am not looking for life, not anymore

V.

Death isn’t a choice; death is the only obvious

No comments:

Post a Comment