Tuesday 25 June 2019

Hate is the Antonym of Love

Do you have a dictionary

Look up the dictionary
What do they say is the antonym of love
Sorry what, what’d just say
Hate is the antonym of love, you say
Yes, you are right
Hate is the antonym of love; the opposing exact of emotional upheavals, or so we are told

I was told the same, for you and me, we are no different, you see
Dictionaries don’t quite decipher differences half as much as we do
So much so that I often wish a life of grammar that effortless yet congruent

So much so that I wish hatred could be the way out of love
So much so that I wish hate was indeed the antonym of love
So much so that I wish wars could be the way out of wars
So much so that I wish bullets could avenge bloodlines
So much so that I wish black and white could be the way out of grey
So much so that I wish apathy could fathom what lies beyond binaries
So much so that I wish band-aids could heal heartburns and scarfaces
So much so that I wish words were all about words, just about words
So much so that I wish acquaintances never turned strangers ever again
So much so that I wish deaths weren’t an everyday but once and for all

It costed me blood and bones, and, skin and flesh
It costed me the entirety of a marriage and countless liaisons called affairs otherwise

It costed me half a life of a lifetime to know we have been lied to
It costed me half a life of a lifetime to know we should have burnt those dictionaries long before we adulted
It costed me half a life of a lifetime to know grammar is but relative; congruency and differences are but subject to conveniences


Hate isn’t an antonym for love
Hate never was the antonym for love

For hatred never healed the wounds love had left behind; hatred did cut deeper though


Hate isn’t the antonym for love
Indifference is

No comments:

Post a Comment