Tuesday, 4 August 2026

Before Your Gods, I Was

I was born without a face.


That was your first mistake.

You thought monsters needed one.


The first part of me that grew was not a heart.

It was a finger. Pointing. Away.

I was born the first time 

a human being looked at the ruins

and searched for a stranger.


Before me, there was guilt.

After me, there was someone else.


I have existed longer than kingdoms.

Longer than borders.

Longer than gods.


I have worn every face you needed.


A demon when you wanted purity.

A monster when you demanded innocence.

A disease when you needed to feel healthy.


You gave me horns from your fear.

Teeth from your cruelty.

A name, because understanding was harder.


I have eaten gods.

Not because I hate them.

Because every god is a human fear wearing miracles.


I have eaten devils.

Angels.

Every excuse given a body.


They all taste the same when they are starving.


I have eaten monsters.

They were my easiest meal.

You carve them first.

Then wonder why they bite.


I have eaten evil.

You keep changing its name.

I keep tasting the same hunger.


I have tasted stars.

You blamed them too.

Every time the universe reminded you how small you were.


I do not live in darkness.

Darkness is where you bury your own.

I live in: "It was not me."


Look closely.

The fingerprints on my body are not mine.

They belong to you.

You have killed me a thousand times.

Burned me. Buried me.

Built monuments above me.


And every time you celebrate my death,

I return.

Not because I am immortal.

Because you need me.


Without me,

there is only the mirror;

no monster on the outside 

to hide what feeds inside.

No devil. No enemy.

No one left to blame.


So keep searching.

Keep pointing.

Keep asking: "Where does the monster live?"


Look at your hand.

The finger.

The mirror.

You've seen me before. 


I was never hiding.

You were looking away.


I am the oldest human prayer:

"Let it be someone else."

No comments:

Post a Comment