Thursday, 27 August 2026

In Remembrance (Abridged)

My mother remembers

a child who lied.


My sister remembers

one who cried.


An old friend remembers

someone who stayed

long after he should have left.


Someone remembers

the night I left.


Someone else,

on that same night,

swears I never did.


I have stopped correcting them.


There are photographs

I cannot remember taking,

conversations I remember

that nobody else does,

and apologies

I am certain I received

from people who swear

they never said sorry.


For years,

I thought memory

was the only place

I was still myself.


Then I noticed

something terrible:


the older I get,

the more of my past

belongs to other people.


Their words

have entered my childhood.


Their anger

has edited my innocence.


Their forgiveness

has given me

things I may never

have earned.


Even the person

I call myself

is beginning to sound

like someone

I was told I was.


Sometimes I look

at an old photograph

and recognize the face

before I recognize the life.


How many times

can a person be remembered

before the memory

becomes the person?

No comments:

Post a Comment