Sunday, 9 August 2026

Compost For The Cultured

I was once promised a stage

large enough to hold thousands,


and then denied it


because a geriatric piece of shit,

living on borrowed breaths

and overdue time,

who had lost a spouse

not to death

but to decay,

because they weren't merely old

but ancient,


decided obedience

was the price of admission;


submission,

the unwritten syllabus.


And no one had the tongue

or the teeth

to tell them:


poetry isn't the bastard child

of the colonial blood

they've spent a lifetime

mistaking for sophistication.



If buttering vanity

were the road to literature,


ghee podi masala dosa

would be the greatest poet alive.



They could say, 

this isn't a poem, 

but a rancid insult at best.


And I agree.

It is. 


But then, 

who gives a fuck, 

unless they have a comeback?



I could burn them with words

and call the ashes poetry,


but poetry would strangle herself

before letting them inside her —


dead or alive.



Life forgot them decades ago, 

and literature never bothered to remember. 


I have heard the doctors have diagnosed them with severe constipation

and I find myself wondering how;

considering all that butter, one would think their exit would be well-oiled!


You see I could go do this all day;

in fact I could have stopped three stanzas ago, 

and that would have been enough to bury them six feet under, 

right in the heart of irrelevance, 

and yet I kept going, 

because, boy oh boy, this is fun! 


But then again, 

I have more pieces of shit to flush, 

and they don't have many breaths for debt.



And as I stand here, 

watching them vanish into decomposition,


I leave this elegy:


the only poetry they will ever be inside of,

dead or alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment