Thursday, 27 August 2026

In Remembrance

My mother remembers

a child who lied.


My sister remembers

one who cried.


An old friend remembers

someone who stayed

long after he should have left.


Someone remembers

the night I left.


Someone else,

on that same night,

swears I never did.


I have stopped correcting them.


There are photographs

I cannot remember taking,

a birthday I remember

ending in tears

though everyone remembers

the cake.


There is a house

I remember being afraid of

that everyone else remembers

as the happiest place

we ever lived.


There are conversations

I remember word for word

that nobody remembers having.


There are apologies

I am certain I received

from people who swear

they never said sorry.


For years,

I thought memory

was the one thing

no one could take from me.


I was wrong.


The older I get,

the more of my childhood

belongs to other people.


Their words

have entered my childhood.


Their anger

has edited my innocence.


Their forgiveness

has given me

things I may never

have earned.


Sometimes I remember

being happy

and cannot tell

if I was.


Sometimes I remember

being cruel

and cannot tell

if guilt is proof

or inheritance.


Even the person

I call myself

is beginning to sound

like someone

I was told I was.


Last December,

I found an old photograph

of myself at seven.


I knew the shirt.

I knew the room.

I knew the face.


I just couldn't remember

being the boy

inside it.


For a long time

I thought this meant

I had forgotten myself.


Now I think

I may have remembered

everyone else too well.


How many times

can a person be remembered

before the memory

becomes the person?

No comments:

Post a Comment