Thursday 19 June 2014

The day I met Tagore...

The sky was pretty ambiguous.And I was no different,either.It wasn't the clouds.But,an absolute lack of shine.As if,the sun had declined.The cigarette was actually being wasted,than,smoked to effect.It wasn't a Sunday.But,afternoons are lazy.Specially when you've been fired,two days back.

                                                            I was badly tired.The world around,was actually running blur...



               "Son!"
 
Now,what is this?There wasn't a second soul in the entire house!I was definitely hallucinating.

    "Son!"     I turned in the direction of the voice.
                                             
                                   The elderly man was definitely one lazy of his kind,evident from the excessively unnecessary vegetation,that had gathered everywhere above his neck and touched down his chest.His lips were almost entirely missing!
                                            "Grandpa!A Gillette razor costs you fifty bucks!"

"Son,have you imagined Tagore,without an overflowing mane and beard?"

"That doesn't mean,anybody,who puts on the same,comes up and says,I AM TAGORE!"

"I AM TAGORE."

"Really?I thought your episode was over,way back in 1941!"

"Do you think so,son?On my way,I heard some of my songs being played and sung in houses!People reciting me in classrooms and coffee shops!"

"My great great grandpa,you are mistaken.You are not what you think you are."

"Tell me son.What am I?"

"You are a curse."

"Why so,son?"

"WHY??People have been roting and reciting you for seventy-three goddamn years,even after your death.I don't mind.But,you are not the only poet,song-writer or story-teller!It's hilarious how people have turned Tagore,a religion!Do you think it's good that people are stuck over you?And they don't even feel it necessary to move on?To explore,experiment?Writing something of their own,rather than vomitting your verses?"

"Son,I never told them,make me your religion.I never wanted people to limit themselves with me.People love me.So,they sing me,read me and recite me!"

"It's not love.You are just a bad habit,people are afraid of giving up.I just hate you!Whatever I write,my mom says,Tagore wrote it!Nonsense,man!You are no god!"

"Son,I am no god,and,I was never one.People are always afraid of embracing a change,stepping out of their comfort zone.I always wanted change.I always favoured change.This is not what I wanted."

"You know what,I will erase this habit called Tagore."

"Son,remember.Write.People will read you.Write well.People will love you.But,never take away Tagore from them.They will make you,their habit....."

1 comment: